Ask me what I’m wearing

Ashlyn Awada, Contributing Writer

All over there are fashions to spot in terms of what people are wearing and why.

Some are wearing articles and accessories that have been thrifted, passed along, gifted, and then restored. “This was my mother’s before, now I use it,” a student mentioned on the long black maxicoat they wore, made from wool.

Two friends seated together in the library share styles.

A graceful necklace shined from the backdrop of a black sweater paired with a multicolored flannel jacket. “It’s actually a gold necklace that my dad got for my mom on their wedding day.”

The other friend described an interest in fast fashion, clothing designs produced fast at a low-cost readily available for consumers.

“You can’t really find a lot of cute jeans that don’t have holes… I like the holes… I’m wearing my converse. What are they called? Platform! There we go.” Smiling and glowing, “if I see a hijabi woman I know I can more than likely connect with them, go up to them and have a conversation where you know you’re going to have something in common. A couple weeks ago I was wearing these H&M kind of flare pants, and a girl stopped me, and she was like ‘I like your pants, where did you get them from?’ and it made me feel sick as hell, because I was like oh my god, someone likes my fit.”

An employee who’s worked for the college since the early 2000s informed, “it has changed. It used to go from the hair, where you would see the mohawks, and then it went to colorful hair, and now a lot of people are tattooing. For awhile I was seeing many piercings: facial, neck, whatever. Some of them are a little interesting.”

She went on, “as far as clothes– I mean in the 2000s people were wearing lingerie for shirts: camisoles. Now I am seeing more baggier clothes. More clothes are becoming unisex. When my husband was younger, he wouldn’t be caught dead in pink, red okay, but not pink.”

She said she laughed at that.

And standing together a flight of stairs away invigorated by the topic of campus fashion, two students contrasted. They asserted “in Cameroon people prepare for university,” “it’s fashion police in school.” “Here we are just wearing clothes.”

For every student however their style, it demonstrates something about their life and themselves, their beliefs and interests. Nonexplicitly, it expresses things which go unsaid, or will remain unsaid until further inquiry.

A young student fully present described herself when asked. “Right now, I’m wearing something I named ‘the feeling of comfortability,’ I believe what you wear brings a sense of energy and it also brings feelings of confidence… I sometimes put on weird stuff, to me it’s not weird. I always look for differences.”

“I believe wherever you go, whatever you put on, gives you much of an inside of who you are… What you put on is you, and how you put it on is you:” one of her last reflections.