The Campus Eye

Finding a Cure For The Insecure

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finding a Cure For The Insecure

ARCCs new food program hopes to help improve the food insecurities among college students.

Michael Nguyen, Staff Writer

On Sept. 25 at 9 a.m. the Campus Cupboard will have its grand opening to all Anoka-Ramsey students on the Coon Rapids campus. Many college students deal with food insecurities while trying to balance education, work, and finding nutritious food. The Campus Cupboard aims to be a helpful and healthy solution for Anoka-Ramsey students and their families dealing with food insecurities.

The Campus Cupboard will be located in G213 which is near the walking track in the auxiliary gym and will be open once a month. Any student may use the Campus Cupboard, no questions asked. Students just need to supply their starID. Along with nutritious groceries, the Campus Cupboard hopes to be able to supply students with daily life essentials and hygiene products.

One in 5 students at Anoka-Ramsey experience some level of food insecurities according to the 2017 Boynton Health survey. Food insecurities could mean worrying about not having enough money to buy food or only being able to afford cheap and non-nutritious foods.

“I had visited many faculty who had said that they have seen many students who were hungry in their classes. That was alarming to me, especially knowing how hard it is to learn when I am hungry,” said Megan Schlecht one of the founders of the Campus Cupboard.

VISTA volunteers and founders of The Campus Cupboard, Hinnah Ayub and Megan Schlect meet to discuss the grand opening.

Also available at the Campus Cupboard will be a Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Programs outreach specialist, a YMCA housing specialist, and Anoka-Ramsey counselors, each with information on additional resources that exist to students and their families.

The Campus Cupboard hopes that this program can reduce the stress around access to food, especially healthier food options. Hopefully the reduction in stress leads directly into success in the classroom for students.

For anyone with interest in helping with the Campus Cupboard or have questions regarding the program contact [email protected]